Thursday 6 April 2017

Focus on Formby


 On a glorious spring morning, I joined volunteers organised by Marine Conservation to help with a survey and litter pick on the beach at Formby. A wide range of folk including several families who were make good use of their half term break turned out. I met employees from Merseytravel on my last visit and they were there again to help. The sales team from Churchill Retirement homes who have a new development in Formby had also volunteered. It was good to see how clean the beach looked but as we walked up towards Ainsdale -with Blackpool Tower and the Lakeland Hills visible on the northern horizon- it became apparent that there was lots of plastic in amongst the sand dunes and on the foreshore. Plastic is a real environmental problem as it takes so long to decay-let alone the damage that it does to sealife. Thanks to Andy for organising the event


Next up was my visit to Clarence High School who were supporting the Dignity in Care Campaign. I was particularly pleased to able to support this event as I have been involved in social care services all my adult life and I know how important it is to raised the profile of this initiative. The students had planned and excellent morning with dance and poetry reading and there was a cake sale.

Last week I was at the excellent concert given by Formby Choral Society and their partners when the performed Elijah and the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Hall along with a professional orchestra, four soloists and a chorus of nigh on 300 singers. Special mention must be made of the two boy choristers who sang

My final involvement this week with Formby was when I hosted a visit to Southport Town Hall by the Formby U3A History group. These are a formidably well-informed group of women. Their inquisitiveness and their knowledge made this a memorable visit. I learned a lot which I shall incorporate into the script for future visits.


No comments:

Post a Comment