Monday 4 July 2016

The Ainsdale Show 2016-one of the NW's great little shows

Saturday saw the opening of the Ainsdale Horticultural Show, truly on of the great little shows. This is their 96 year and it is good to see that this well loved community event has adapted and is thriving in the 21st century. Congratulations to all those who give up their time to keep this show on the Green at Ainsdale,

I saw lots of local people enjoying the day. The weather was remarkably kind to us as once again Southport's micro climate bucked the national trend and there was no rain at the showground

I was met by the Chair Patrica Pearce who showed me around . I bumped into Ted Harthill who is a volunteer with the show and was looking after the impressive collection of trophies that the Ainsdale Show had gathered over the passed 90 plus years.

I saw a very impressive flower arranging demonstration on how you manipulate leaves to enhance your display.  All Ainsdale seemed to have turned out, local churches, schools, the civic society voluntary group, and lots of families. At the Ainsdale Village Church stand I met Brenda Porter who has been instrumental in inviting me to open the Knitted Bible exhibition at Birkdale URC church on Sunday.


My job was to hand out awards to young people. The Ainsdale show has developed many classes for local children to enter and there many proud parents snapping photographs.

Having met two former Ainsdale councillors it was a pleasure to chat to a current one Lynne Thompson. Lynne played an important part in  getting Ernest Jones his Legion of Honour medal,sadly she told me that Ernest has now passed away.

Mrs Pearce was kindly inviting me to afternoon tea when Sean Brady came along with his bike. Sean and I contested the 1983 General Election and he now runs Formby First and has posted some great pictures of the Ainsdale show on his twitter account.
Afternoon Tea was, as you can see, amazing. I was pleased to be joined by The Chair and a volunteer from the show along with the Manager of the Southport Flower Show and his wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment